Cairo – Day 1

I made it to Cairo! We began our day in Shreveport where we departed at 12:05 pm.  We flew to Atlanta, where we had a three-hour layover.  We were able to eat a nice sit-down lunch at Paschal’s, then we shopped around a little and relaxed in the Delta Sky Lounge.  We left ATL at 5:30pm and arrived at the JFK airport in NYC around 7:35pm.  Once we got off the plane we had to take a bus over to the next terminal.  But the airport attendants couldn’t decide which bus we needed to be on, so we got loaded onto one bus then were told that everyone going to Terminal 3 had to get off and move to another bus! It was a good thing that we had a couple of hours on our layover and didn’t have to rush.  Once we arrived at Terminal 3, I smiled at one of the airport guys (and I guess he liked my smile!) because he showed us a shortcut.  We were able to get in front of all of the people that left the bus before we did!  We did a little shopping at the airport, but surprisingly most of the shops closed by 8 or 9 o’clock.  Our flight left JFK at 9:50pm (5 minutes ahead of schedule), and we arrived in Cairo at 3:31pm (7:31am CST) a few minutes ahead of schedule.  Our flight was awesome! We flew in Business Class, so our seats were nice and comfortable.  The food was excellent, as well.  They fed us supper after we left JFK and lunch before we landed in Cairo.  I was able to get 5 hours of sleep on the plane, which I thought was pretty good.

As we were flying into Cairo, I was able to see the Nile River, which was really cool.  I wasn’t able to get a very good picture, because we weren’t supposed to use our cameras once we got really close.  I was told that they normally fly by the Pyramids before we land, but that wasn’t the case today. 😦

Once we landed, we had to be bused to the terminal (For some reason, they didn’t taxi to the terminal.). We then bought our entry visa and made it through customs.  Then we had to wait for over an hour before our luggage came around at baggage claim! We had almost given up hope.  After we got our luggage, Aunt Deborah’s friend/employee Mahmoud picked us up.  We had so many bags that we had to get a taxi to take our bags to the flat, while we rode with Mahmoud.

The ride to the flat was crazy! I thought we were going to die! There might be 4 lanes marked, but the drivers made it into 5.  People were cutting each other off, and driving so closely that you could reach your hand out and touch the person in the car next to you! I just tried not to look at the road and instead watched the scenery.  :/  The area right around the airport was really nice.  The streets were lined with trees and there were walls that had murals painted and carved on them.  Once we got away from the airport, the streets were not as nice and clean.

Once we finally made it to the flat, it was about three hours after we landed.  I watched the sunset from the terrace that overlooks the Nile.  We had a nice supper in from Moman’s (They delivered.).  I ate a crispy chicken sandwich with cole slaw (that was really good!) and French fries.

Tomorrow, Mahmoud is taking me to see the Pyramids and the Great Sphinx.  I will be sure to take plenty of pictures!

Cairo Sunset Overlooking the Nile River from Aunt Deborah's terrace

5 thoughts on “Cairo – Day 1

  1. Hey Erin,

    Glad you arrived safely! Have fun! Larry said it sounds like you are describing India!

    Say Hi to Deborah for us!

    • Thanks! I think that Cairo has as many people as India (or so I’m told). So it’s quite possible that the traffic is similar. I’ll be sure to tell her hi for you.


  2. Your driving experience reminds me of Mexico as well. Who needs lanes?!?!? 🙂
    This sounds so exciting. I can’t wait to see your pictures from the pyramids.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s